News for the Week of April 25, 2022




This Week at Brown School

M-STEP WINDOW:

3rd Grade ELA: 4/11 - 5/6

3rd Grade MATH: 4/11 - 5/20

4th & 5th ALL: 4/11 - 5/20


NWEA WINDOW: 4/18 - 5/6


4/25    P2 Character Strength: Purpose

           Maize & Blue Monday

           SJVS M-STEP testing in media center 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.

           Third grade TRAILS group @ lunch

           Mileage Club @ lunch recess

           GOTR group 1 meets after school 

           BOE meeting @ 6pm - Central Office


4/26     Mileage Club @ lunch recess (make-up from Friday)

            GOTR group 2 meets after school 

            Andrew out of the building today 


4/27     Late Start Day (Team Time)

            Secretary's Day - spoil Sara & Kelly with love!

            2nd grade musical in gym 10:00 a.m. 

            Mileage Club @ lunch recess 

            4th & 5th grade TRAILS groups @ lunch

            Y5s to Sarett Nature Center 12:15-2:30 p.m.

            GOTR group 1 meets after school 

            After school art class


4/28    Late start - team time

           SJVS M-STEP testing in MC from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.

           GOTR group 2 meets after school


4/29    5th grade to Van Andel all day

           Andrew out of the building today

           Brown Bear Credit Union 8:20 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. 

           Mileage Club @ lunch recess


4/30    Professional Portfolios due in iObservation by end of day


Coming Up... 

Staff Appreciation Week!  

5/2      District Elementary PD Day @ Brown 

           8:15 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. (see information below)


5/3       Staff/SI meeting 7:15 a.m. 

           P2 Character Strength: Leadership

           Maize & Blue Tuesday

           GOTR group 1 & 2 meet after school 


5/4     Late Start Day - team time

          Lory's Place group meets @ 9:30 in SEL room 

          4th graders to SJHS for swimming lessons (p.m.) 

          4th & 5th grade TRAILS groups meet at lunch

          GOTR group 1 meets after school 

          After school art class after school 

          2nd grade musical 7pm for families @ SJHS

           

5/5    Staff luncheon provided by PTO - woohoo!

         SJVS testing in M.C. 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. 

         Kindergarten to Sarett 9:30 - 11:00 a.m. 

         Fifth grade to Upton today 10:15 a.m. - 1:15 p.m. 

         GOTR group 2 meets after school 


5/6   Brown Bear Credit Union 8:20 - 8:45 a.m.

        Popsicle Friday! (all students)

        3rd - 5th grade track meet today

        Ren Baldwin Technology Festival at SJHS 6:00 - 7:30pm

     


Mileage Club is back! Woohoo!




  

PD Day Plans

We are looking forward to continuing our learning around high quality math instruction with Joe Elsheikhi. District Y5 - 5th grade teaching staff (as well as resource room teachers) will meet in the media center at Brown School on Monday, May 2nd.  Our session will begin at 8:15 a.m. We have dedicated time to meet with your team following our morning discussion. An agenda will be shared with you next week. 


Itinerant staff, SSWs, SLPs, and ECDD staff will work on their own learning plans that day. Denise, Andrew or Kristen will be in touch. 


We will have a delicious lunch served at 12:00 in the cross halls to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week. 


Feedback = Growth
#AllmeansAll_SJPS


PTO grant process

Our amazingly generous and dedicated PTO have created a process for teacher grant requests (in addition to the . Please click here to learn more about the process which will be rolled out this coming fall. 




Air Conditioning is Coming!

The district is committed to bringing air conditioning to the elementary buildings. The plan is to have it fully installed and ready to chill the air for the start of the 2023-24 school year. Woohoo!


Transition Plan 

We are delighted that Joe Rommel will be joining our staff several days this spring as a part of our transition planning. He recently attended a PTO meeting, getting to know the Board and the current topics of discussion. 


Joe is planning to participate in our upcoming placement meetings in order to learn more about our students. It is likely he will also join late start conversations to observe our staff's knowledge of how we use data to drive our instructional practice. We are planning to share a sign up sheet so that he will have the opportunity to read a book in all Y5 - 4th grade classes. Additionally, he plans to experience the end of year picnic celebration with us, our students, and their families.  


Sensory Track Application & Planning 

Save the date for Sunday, May 1st. We are planning to lay the sensory track down at 12:00 and would love your helping hands if you are able to join us. 


We will share a draft roll out and management plan with you all next week. If you have ideas, please be sure to share them with Andrew & Kristen.


Why Teachers Matter

Teachers can see leadership potential in students, even when the students don’t yet see it. Thank you for believing in young people. They borrow your belief until they learn to believe in themselves.

Reason #88: Teachers give us opportunities to become leaders.
Stacey remembers Mrs. Clarke:  

"I was a painfully shy kid. I rarely spoke in class, and I definitely lacked confidence. So, when my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Clarke, announced the class helpers, I was shocked to learn I had been chosen as Milk Monitor. I doubted my ability to rise to the challenge. Milk Monitor required taking the milk orders in the morning, counting the money, taking the orders to the lunchroom, and distributing the milk each day at lunch. The position came with great responsibility.

When I got home, I told my parents about my new role. My dad worked at a bank, and he helped me devise a system for organizing the orders and counting the coins. I surprised myself with my efficiency and accuracy. I took great pride in being the Milk Monitor, and my confidence grew. When it was time to pick new helpers, Mrs. Clarke felt I should keep the job for the rest of the year. 

Because Mrs. Clarke saw leadership potential in me, I began to see it in myself. Being the Milk Monitor was a small step in my journey toward building greater confidence. Through that challenge, I learned more about myself. I learned I was organized, reliable, and careful. I learned that others could depend on me. I am forever grateful to Mrs. Clarke for believing in me."

 

Keep going. You may not be able to see the impact you have,
but for one student, it might just last a lifetime. For even more inspiration, check out Safe, Seen, and Stretched in the Classroom, available now.



Popular posts from this blog

News for the Weeks of November 15th and November 22nd

News for the Week of May 23, 2022

News for the Week of May 31, 2022